Sunday, March 2, 2008

Spiraling into Cycle #2

So, I'm thinking about the results of Cycle #1. Not everything went as planned. For one thing, only about half of my teachers responded to my first survey and only 3 teachers responded to the poll on my blog. During common planning (CP) meetings, it is a constant struggle to keep teachers focused on the work. There is little time to be wasted, since CP is only 45 minutes long from bell to bell, and yet most teachers arrive at least 5 minutes late and some did not attend our last meeting at all. Part of the reason that two of our ELA teachers missed the last CP meeting is that they were temporarily transferred to the Math department to help prepare students for the state Math exam. I do not know the exact details of this temporary assignment.

During CP meetings, a large portion of the meeting is often consumed by sarcastic banter or the venting of frustrations. I'm not saying that it's not important or even vital for teachers to have time to vent, especially in a frustrating situation - it definitely is. However, there has to be some way of maximizing our productivity and making these meetings more efficient.

Because our time is so limited, I feel strongly that technology should be considered as one real option for building collegial relationships. However, the teachers in my study have not responded the way I thought they might. Our email list-serve been used more for individual crisis management than for really thoughtful, professional collaboration as a team. When I posed the reflective questions to the group about the student work we had analyzed together, I did not receive a single post to the discussion, in spite of the fact that I had originally listed Friday, February 29th, as the goal for responding.

What do I need to do for my next cycle of research and action? First, I need to figure out how the teachers are comfortable using technology and see if I can teach into that. Based on my data, the teachers did not fully engage in the collaborative process of analyzing student work - they did not respond at all to my prompt for reflection via email in Cycle #1. I have observed during our discussions a certain weak sense of agency among these teachers in that they seem to feel uncertain about their ability to make a difference through instruction. This has been found to be a common issue among urban teachers (Foster, Lewis & Onafowora, 2005). From their lack of response and my observations about their hesitance, I need to see if I can tap into the 'soul' of their teaching (Intrator & Kunzman, 2006) to get them more engaged in this collaborative process. Finally, I need to reintroduce the idea of looking at student work, this time with a sharper focus on how it can impact instruction.